Thursday, April 14, 2005

Mad(e) for cricket

If you are wondering why I am going hammer and tongs on cricket at this moment, then go ahead and read this.

Since early childhood I have been attracted to this game. My earliest memories have been the ones associted with cricket. I fondly remember the 1983 World Cup going on and I (all of 2 years) sitting on the dinning table, with my mom churning the curd while listening to the commentary on the radio, and as soon as their was some noise I would excitedly ask "Who won, India or Bharat?"

I used to play cricket in the lawn in front of our house. It was a huge ground for a kid and I have had the best times playing on it every afternoon. I was not a particularly great player, but my fielding used to be fantastic. I would dive around and pull off unimaginable catches (I still remember most of them) to the surprise of the batsmen. Partly due to this fact, when our team was facing the absence of a wicket keeper, I had to don the big gloves (literally, 'cos at that time I used to keep bare handed due to the lack of keeping gloves in the team). I have suffered some injuries as well. The index fingers of both my hands have subsequently become skewed. Even the bridge of my nose is twisted, the result of being hit by the bat while fielding close in.

After the 10th board exams, we used to play a match almost every alternative day. This continued till one of my very good friends and teammate had sunstroke. Even during my 11th and 12th classes, we continued to play both official as well as unofficial matches. Our matches used to be between 15 and 20 overs long. I used to be so absorbed in the game that I used to forget everything else and unlike a lot of other people the part I loved most was being on the field. I have played very little after my illness (jaundice and measles) in 2000-01 but have still keenly followed the game.

Another incident I remember relating to the World Cup was in 1996. I had performed not too well in the exams. When my class teacher asked me the reason, I bluntly said that World Cup was on. She retorted that even if it was, it was the same for others as well and they still managed to study. But my dear madam, though cricket was there for everyone, everyone was not mad for cricket! I just love this game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home