Monday, April 04, 2005

Phone Calls

A very interesting thing happened this Saturday, rather an interesting phone call. Sometime in the evening I got a call on my cell from an unknown number. Thus went the conversation (C-Caller, Me-Me, my thoghts in parenthesis, background info in braces):
C - "Is this Mehul?" (a female caller - implies call centre people - credit card - oh no! - too tired to talk - will be outright rude)
Me - "Yup"
C - "This is S******" {the name of the caller blanked out to protect privacy} (can't be the same girl who studied with me.. been close to 2 years since we talked.. can't be she.. its not even my birthday.. besides, the voice sounds different.. there are a lot of girls with that name.. sure is some credit card girl)
Me - {dryly}"O.K."
pause
C - "So how are you?" (hey whats with these call centre gals? they are getting personal. is she call centre at all? oh shit. this is the gal who was in college with me)
Me - "I am fine what about you?" (eeks.. another foot in the mouth.. u did it again jats)

I will leave the conversation at that so that what was discussed remains privileged information between the caller and the called ;o).
The purpose of this, was to show that the prevalence of the call centre calls is so much that we often think that even personal calls from people we have not heard in a long time are from call centres and start being rude over the phone. Its time that such invasion on privacy by the telemarketing people is stopped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home