Monday, May 09, 2005

Uncle-o-phobia

There is a new phobia I have developed. That of being called "Uncle". Well, I don't know whether I have reached an age at which I deserve to be called an "Uncle" by the kids. May be the fact that I work to earn my living makes kids call me "Uncle", because a couple of years back I was used to be called "bhaiya" (brother).

Whatever the reason I don't look, much less feel, like "Uncle". God how does it sound - "Uncle". It was only yesterday that my landlady's grand daughter (she has come down for the summer vacations) called out "Uncle" behind my back. I was oblivious to the fact that she was calling me! What do I expect her to call me when I myself call her grandmom as "Aunty"!!

Much more difficult are my encounters with my married colleagues. I often forget how to address their wives and have caught myself at times calling them "Aunty" much to their repugnance. Christ, I still feel like a kid at heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home