Monday, May 02, 2005

I m back

Refreshed and recharged. Those wouldd be the two words, if anyone asked me how I feel after a 10 day break. I couldn't blog in the last week or so. I tried to go to a cafe and browse in my home town, but the connection bandwidth was so low that I decided not to browse again during my stay. Hence was cut off from the tech world. The best part about being at my place is that the small town it is, the air is still pure and the late evening/night walks I used to have were very invigorating. The first thing that struck me when I set my foot in Pune late yesterday night was the pollution here. I had adjusted to it, but when I returned after a break, it was too much. Even at 12 o' clock in the night, there was smoke in the air and my eyes burned on my way back home in an auto. My system has already readjusted to the pollution levels and I feel again at home.

As I write this piece, I got a very sad news. One of the guys who was working here in Pune with me had been transferred to Bhubaneswar sometime back. He passed away on Saturday of cerebral malaria. He was diagonsed with having malaria, so his parents took him to his home town in Berhampur where there is a medical college. When he went there for a checkup, the doctors were on strike. He was planning to go to Vizag for treatment when one of the local doctors advised against it. When he lost consciousness on Saturday, his family decided to take him to Vizag immediately. He passed away on the way. I don't want to comment on the medical facilities in the country. Incidents such as this speak for themselves: an educated man such as him living in a state capital passes away in such a way. Entire medical college on strike! And we call ourselves a developing country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home